The UroLift System is an alternative to drug therapy or more invasive surgery for BPH treatment. This treatment might be right for you if any of the following apply:
- You do not want to take another daily pill
- You have tried BPH medication but are unhappy with the side effects
- You do not want to undergo major surgery with a higher risk of side effects and complications
- You want a BPH solution that preserves your sexual function
- You want to regain your quality of life with minimal downtime
You made need the following tests prior to TUMT:
- Prostate Ultrasound
- Urodynamics (Less common)
During this procedure your urologist will place tiny implants to hold the enlarged prostate tissue out of the way, like opening curtains on a window, to relieve the compression on the urethra. There is no cutting, heating or removal of prostate tissue.
The UroLift System treatment is either done in the physician’s office under local anesthesia or as an outpatient under general anesthetic. Typically, patients return home the same day without a catheter.
The UroLift Delivery Device is placed through the obstructed urethra to access the enlarged prostate.
Small UroLift Implants are permanently placed to lift or hold the enlarged prostate tissue out of the way and increase the opening of the urethra. The permanent Implants are delivered through a small needle that comes out of the UroLift Delivery Device and into the prostate.
The UroLift Delivery Device is removed, leaving an open urethra designed to provide symptom relief.
After the Procedure
Most men will not need a catheter at the procedure. Some irritative symptoms occur for a few weeks. Recovery times vary, but patients typically experience rapid symptom relief and a return to normal activity within a few days. Your doctor will discuss any restrictions in your specific situation.
- Straightforward procedure
- Minimally invasive
- Minimal downtime
- Advantageous for active men
- Typically no catheter or overnight stay required after treatment
- Preservation of sexual function
- Durable results
- Rapid symptom relief, as early as 2 weeks post-procedure
Clinical data has shown that the UroLift System treatment is safe and effective in relieving lower urinary tract symptoms due to BPH without compromising sexual function.
In published studies regarding UroLift, the following results were noted at 3-4 years.
- I-PSS improvement is rapid and durable
- Improved flow rate of 4ml/sec which is durable
- Improved urinary quality of life
- Low retreatment rates
- To date, there has been no evidence of new sustained erectile or ejaculatory dysfunction reported following a UroLift System procedure
- Bleeding risk is very low
Most common side effects are mild to moderate and include pain or burning with urination, blood in the urine, pelvic pain, urgent need to urinate and/or the inability to control the urge. Most symptoms resolve within two to four weeks after the procedure.
The UroLift System should not be used if you have:
- Prostate volume of >80 cc
- A urinary tract infection
- Urethra conditions that may prevent insertion of the delivery system into bladder
- Urinary incontinence due to an incompetent sphincter
- Current gross hematuria
- If you have a known allergy to nickel, titanium or stainless steel talk to your doctor about your allergy before getting a UroLift System procedure