Rezūm System is an alternative to drug therapy or more invasive surgery for BPH treatment. This treatment might be right for you if any of the following apply:
- You do not want to take another daily pill
- You have tried BPH medication but are unhappy with the side effects
- You do not want to undergo major surgery with a higher risk of side effects and complications
- You want a BPH solution that preserves your sexual function
- You want to regain your quality of life with minimal downtime
You made need the following tests prior to Rezūm:
- Prostate Ultrasound
- Urodynamics (Less common)
During this procedure, the surgeon uses a scope that has cannula passed through it. The scope goes through the penis into the prostate portion of the urethra. Steam is injected through the cannula and into the prostate. The water vapor is injected into the prostate tissue that is blocking the flow of urine from the bladder, where it immediately turns back to water, releasing the energy stored in the vapor into the cell membranes. Following this, the cells are damaged, causing cell death. Over time, your body will absorb the treated tissue through its natural healing response.
Clinical data has shown that the Rezūm treatment is safe and effective in relieving lower urinary tract symptoms due to BPH without compromising sexual function.
In published studies regarding rezum, the following results were noted at 3-4 years.
- I-PSS improvement is rapid and durable
- Improved flow rate of 4ml/sec which is durable
- Improved urinary quality of life
- Low retreatment rates
Most common side effects are mild to moderate and include pain or burning with urination, blood in the urine, urgent need to urinate and/or the inability to control the urge. Most symptoms resolve within three to four weeks after the procedure.
Rezūm should not be used if you have:
- Urinary incontinence due to an incompetent sphincter
- Have uncontrolled bleeding disorders
- Have acute urinary tract infection (UTI) or severe urethral stricture