The main goal of the BPH treatment pathway is an improvement in quality of life. Typically this is an improvement in urinary bother and lower urinary tract symptoms. A “successful” outcome on the pathway involves a patient reported improvement which is satisfactory to them as an individual.
- BPH is a progressive disease that can worsen over time and thus an initial success may require further interventions.
- Periodic reassessment of symptom improvement is necessary
- Continued adherence to behavioral therapy is necessary.
- Symptom progression can occur and one may need to restart the pathway or advance to the next step.
- Periodic office evaluation and questionnaires will be utilized to help patients remain engaged and offer an opportunity for improvement.